D-blog Day 2011 Scrapbook Page

D-blog Day 2011 Scrapbook Page

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Diabetes Poem

Just three more days to Diabetes Awareness month starting Tuesday. Wanted to share my Diabetes poem:


Diabetes

A lethargy crept over my body. The drowsiness was deep.

Busy summer of sports, but when not on the playing fields all I could do was sleep.

‘Cept when I was waking up in the middle of the night going to the bathroom.

Doctors were slow to catch I was falling into a sugary doom.

Early on a Monday morning I sat in the doctor’s office my eyes wide shut.

For the next few days it was off to the hospital, my ailment we finally knew what.

Gave me a sugar baby with needles to practice sticking.

Had something called diabetes: certainly not something I would have gone picking.

Insulin shot into my body is not a cure.

Just a sometimes painful reality that’s really better than dying, that’s for sure.

Kind of hated doing blood tests at first,

Later the technology improved so with fright I was no longer cursed.

My blood sugar levels for a while were way too high.

Not good when over 12  your hemoglobin A1C does fly.

Over time the control got way better.

Philadelphia Flyers legend Bobby Clarke one time for encouragement sent me a letter.

Quest to achieve a delicate balance: that is the goal.

Reaching glucose levels too high or too low really takes a toll.

Stability through exercise and diet is what we are after, but

Taking many missteps we must accept with laughter.

Understanding of carbohydrates, proteins, fat, and sugar we gain.

Visions of bananas, Sobes, and ice cream when sugar levels are drained.

When will a cure be found?

Xylophones are ready to ring a celebratory sound.

Year number 29 with diabetes is underway.

Zest for life the disease will not cause me to stray.  

No comments:

Post a Comment