D-blog Day 2011 Scrapbook Page

D-blog Day 2011 Scrapbook Page

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Life is Good

Those three words put together describe my life with diabetes.

Life certainly is not perfect: Indeed far from it. But even without diabetes life would not be perfect.

Yes, life with diabetes has its really bad days. Waking up in a hospital bed – or with paramedics hovering over you – does not make for a very good time. Sticking needles into my body everyday, twice a day and sometimes more, is not my idea of fun – nor it poking my fingers full of holes everyday to check blood sugars. And there are certainly many other diabetes-related stressors.

But, again, even without diabetes, I can have a bad day. Even without diabetes, I have issues in my life. So life certainly is not perfect.

Here is the flip side, however, there are so many great things to counter-balance those negatives. Here are just a few.

Everyday I get out of bed is another day to live and to learn, to figure out better ways to control my diabetes.

Everyday I get out of bed is another day to go out and explore. I can go climb a mountain or descend into a cave – or maybe smell a flower or eat a delicious maple cookie.

Everyday I get out of bed is another chance to hit a backhand winner on the tennis court; to fly down the field like the wind on the soccer pitch; or to make a fabulous glove save in a hockey game.

Everyday I get out of bed is another chance to make someone smile with a hand-made birthday card or CD mix; with a cute little rhyme or a kind word; with a hand-crafted gift or a great big hug.

Diabetes does not stop me from doing any of those things. And so plain and simple everyday I get out of bed with diabetes, life is good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment